Current:Home > InvestBarrage of bomb threats emailed to schools cancels classes across the Baltic countries -Capitatum
Barrage of bomb threats emailed to schools cancels classes across the Baltic countries
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 03:26:54
VILNIUS, Lithuania (AP) — Emailed bomb threats sent to schools and kindergartens across the three Baltic nations this week led to the cancellation of classes across the region.
Lithuania’s police chief, Renatas Pozela, said “a coordinated mass attack” began late Thursday involved hundreds of emails that were sent from a server within the European Union. The majority of messages were in Russian and some had a political content, Pozela said.
In Estonia, a wave of threatening spam emails started late Wednesday. As a result, most schools in Tartu, the country’s second-largest city, were closed on Thursday.
Although hundreds of children in Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia were told not to come to school because of bomb threats, Lithuanian Interior Minister Agne Bilotaite said there did not appear to be any danger.
“These false reports are intended to cause panic,” Bilotaite said, stressing “there is no need to panic.”
Aurelija Vernickaite, a spokesperson for the Lithuanian security agency, said the messages that appeared in Lithuania, Estonia and Latvia “likely were … carried out at the initiative of hostile states.”
They were aimed at “disturbing and destabilizing the work of institutions, and increasing mistrust,” she told the Baltic News Service, the region’s main news agency.
“As geopolitical tensions rise, Lithuania and the other Baltic states are constant targets of information and cyber-attacks by hostile states,” Vernickaite said. The Baltic countries are among the most vocal European critics of Russia and President Vladimir Putin.
Schools in Lithuania received 750 emails on Friday alone, and more were coming in, authorities said.
Law enforcement authorities in Latvia described the emails as a low-level threat and a targeted criminal action aimed at destabilizing society and the work of authorities. Schools and kindergartens were asked to stay open, but a number of them chose to suspend classes over several days as a precaution, the Baltic News Service said.
Latvian authorities believe the sender of the threat emails was the same person, had been active for about a year and had sent similar threat letters to various organizations, the news agency said.
Latvian and Estonian authorities said they were in contact. Latvian investigators are collaborating with the United States and Poland, where similar hostile activities were reported earlier, BNS said.
veryGood! (54672)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- US submarine pulls into Guantanamo Bay a day after Russian warships arrive in Cuba
- Former executive of Mississippi Lottery Corporation is sentenced for embezzlement
- Gov. Hochul considering a face mask ban on New York City subways, citing antisemitic acts
- Audit: California risked millions in homelessness funds due to poor anti-fraud protections
- Rafael Nadal to skip Wimbledon to prepare for Paris Olympics
- Why Shakira Compares Pain From Gerard Pique Breakup to Being Stabbed in the Chest
- Woman dies after collapsing on Colorado National Monument trail; NPS warns of heat exhaustion
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Maine shooting exposes gaps in mental health treatment and communication practices
Ranking
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Rafael Nadal to skip Wimbledon to prepare for Paris Olympics
- BIT TREASURY Exchange: Analysis of the Advantages and Characteristics of Bitcoin Technology and Introduction to Relevant National Policies
- Man who died at 110 was 'always inquisitive.' Now scientists will study his brain.
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Massachusetts on verge of becoming second-to-last state to outlaw ‘revenge porn’
- Pope Francis uses homophobic slur for gay men for 2nd time in just weeks, Italian news agency says
- Tony Bennett’s daughters sue their brother over his handling of the late singer’s assets
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Bijou Phillips Confirms Romance with Jamie Mazur After Danny Masterson Breakup
Teen drowns after jumping off pontoon boat into California lake
Bebe Rexha Calls Out G-Eazy for Being Ungrateful Loser After She's Asked to Work With Him
Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
Love Is Blind's Taylor Rue Suffers Pregnancy Loss With Boyfriend Cameron Shelton
'Gentle giant' named Kevin is now the world's tallest dog
Man drowns while trying to swim across river with daughter on his back